Sunday, August 23, 2009

It begins

So far the trip has been awesome. We had the usual travel hassles on the way down (delays, bad food, change of seats due to child throwing up, etc), but nothing out of the ordinary. I even got a nice nap in during our 2 hours spent on the tarmac in La Paz. Apparently I can´t sleep on planes while they are flying but have no problem sleeping when they are grounded.

We´ve been settling in and learning our way around Montero before we leave on Tuesday for language school in Cochabamba. I´m looking forward to the school as my Spanish is not good. I can tell people in Spanish that "I know a little bit of Spanish," but in truth, that´s a lie. "Nada" would be more appropriate.

We had a really nice dinner with some of Daniel´s sisters and their families last night in Santa Cruz. They were very welcoming and the food was great. Maya & Mansfield also got a crash course in Bolivian greetings. Often men will shake hands then pat each other on the shoulders (and sometimes shake hands again); when Daniel´s brother-in-law tried to greet Mansfield this way he found himself, after the handshake, engulfed in a giant bear hug. He didn´t seem to mind, but Mans quickly realized his error when he saw how Daniel greeted his brother. I guess Daniel´s family learned something about American greetings too....

No comments:

Post a Comment